Monday, June 29, 2015

Time: it is all we've got. (No, seriously)

As I pack my life away on this glorious summer day I am filled with rage.
I usually chalk it up to stress.
But we were talking about when last we met our intrepid heroes: a sense of time.


Time is important.
Time is Money as they say.
Money is Time as I say.

Time is the most important thing when it comes to creative endeavor.

Whenever I hear someone lamenting about their artistic pratfalls/pitfalls I hear one thing:
If only I had more time!
Bullshit.
You have the same number of hours in your day as Shakespeare, Einstein, and Newton.
We don't have a great appreciation of time.
Start budgeting out your time.

Seriously.
Pick up a pad and budget it out.
Take into account the hours spent bingeing Netflix.
Take into account the hundreds of hours spent trying to find something on Netflix.
Tally it up.
Congratulations that is an artwork you could have finished.

It doesn't have to be much.
Today I am so stressed that I feel my teeth clicking (and I don't even know what that means).
But, I want to make it a priority to always make.
To always create
A. B. C. as the ever wondrous Alec Baldwin said:
Always Be Closing.
I say:
Always Be Creating.

Find a way.
Find a time.
Make it special.
Make it precious.
People will try to take it away from you.
It is important to make a thing.
Doesn't matter what it is.
Don't believe me?
Watch this most precious of Kickstarter videos:
Those are doodles.
DOOODLES! She did at night while her toddler was asleep.

So go out, find a thing, and make it better.
That is really all I have time for.
I'm going to go back and pour out more of my soul into packing boxes.
But even if it is just for a moment, sharing a bit of you, fills you back up.
Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment