Saturday, September 12, 2015

What is Home? A Place for all my Stuff (And my Thoughts)

So I have been moving.
Travelling.
Homeless.

It is hard and I don't always know where I am going or doing.
It has been very illuminating, but not very productive.
I don't know where or how I will charge all of my devices.
I don't know where I will sleep at night.
I don't know where I can be still and write.

It has been one of the most daunting experiences of my life.
The single greatest hurdle that I have found while moving is finding a home.
Some sort of homebase.
A place to put all of my things and in some ways my thoughts.

I flew out to Seattle on September 2.
I stayed in a hostel for five nights.
They were fun times, well spent.
I went house searching during the day, job applying at night, and slept well because time differences.
But, it was not home.
I could not stay here.
It was forty bucks a day, which is fine for me, but not two and not for a month.
We needed a place

My partner, Kit, arrived on September 7 and I still had nothing to show for it.
No job, no beautiful place, no art.

So we searched together.
Now, we were mobile and could cover more ground.
I felt better.
We had a friend to stay with.
It was miserable and cold, but we could improve it.
We talked about paying some of the rent and dare I say it? We had a homebase.
When you are without home a homebase wll suffice.
But, we werekicked out by uncaring landlords.
No one could take us.

So we had to retreat.
We retreated to Walla Walla where Kate's family lives.
We are staying with family as we attempt to apply for housing five hours outside of the city we want to live in.
The Catch-22 is also brilliant:
We needd jobs in order to find a place
But we need a place in order to find jobs

It could not be harder.
But, we have found a base of operations.
A place to start from.
Because that is what you need.

You have to start somewhere.
It is up to you to decide where that somewhere is and how important are the other things.
A home is an agreed upon construct, but you know it when you find it.
For me it is the creature comforts.
Knowing where to hang your hat, that sort of thing.
Knowing that allows me to create art.
To create work.
Figuring out what that is for yourself and doing it is the most essential thing for any creative.
That is all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment